Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Gift of Giving

   So today my two cousins and I packed Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes. This is what Operation Christmas Child, or OCC, is: it is an organization where you pack a shoe box, or clear food storage box full of things for kids in third world countries who might not get a Christmas gift. This box can be filled with a number of things such as: washcloth, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, pencils, sharpeners, erasers, pens, notebooks, coloring books, crayons, hair bows, combs, socks, shirts, hats, hard candy, gum, sunglasses, a personal letter from you, and of course toys.
  Some toys can be Slinky's, yoyos, cars, jump-ropes, stuffed animals, anything girls would like to play with, and anything boys would like to play with that will fit into a box. Just no toy swords, knifes, fake guns, or army men because these boxes could be going over to war areas. The ages for the children are 2-4, 5-9, 10-14. After you pack your shoe box you drop it off at a drop off location during National Drop Off Week. From there the boxes go to the OCC headquarters closes to you. At the headquarters volunteers go through all the boxes collected to make sure everything can go overseas. Then the boxes are taken to their destinations.
   As the boxes are being handed out volunteers teach sort of like a vacation Bible school to the kids and they learn about God. Some of these kids have never heard about God until they get a shoe box! There is still time to do a shoe box if you want to. Here is the link with all the information in it. http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/

  This year my cousins and I did eight boxes. Now I have done a box since I was in first grade (I went to a privet school my whole life.) but for my nine-year-old and three-year-old cousins this was their first time doing a box. They loved it and I do believe we have started a new family tradition. What a blessing today was. Here are some pictures:

Have you packed a shoe box? Leave a comment and let me know.
THANKFUL NOVEMBER CONTINUED:
Day 15: I am thankful for Christian Bookstores
Day 16: I am thankful for OCC and my cousins wanting to help with boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment