Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lessons from Psalms

I know this post is late and I am sorry for that. Finals and a cold kept me busy. But enough about me, lets dive into the book of Psalms some more! With today being the eighteenth that means that we have studied up to chapter eighteen in the book of Psalms. Here are some things that caught my eye and some of the tools I have been using to study with.
First in Psalm one I have learned by using Eight Girls of Faith's Instagram is that we need a root system to grow! If we have strong roots in God we will not be unsettled when hard times come our way. Proverbs 12:3 backs this up by stating "No one can be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted." (NIV) So here are some ways to grow a strong root system: hang out with the right crowd, be grounded in God's word, Pray, and mediate day and night on God's word.
Now skipping to Psalm three I learned some more insight through Eight Girls of Faith. This chapter helps us to be confident in God. God shields us, lifts us up, answers us, and sustains us. This quote from Eight Girls of Faith really drives home the point that God is with us. "Would we be afraid if Superman was protecting us? Well, Superman is an ant to God. How much more confident should we feel with the Maker of the universe on our side?" Wow! (read the girls stuff here: Eight Girls of Faith)
Now lets take a giant leap and go to Psalm sixteen. This chapter has always confused me just a little bit, so while reading it I searched the web for studying tips about it. I came to this website A Study in Psalms - Vol. III; No. 1. This site showed that Psalm chapter sixteen is really broken down into five parts. Part one: Taking refuge in God (verses 1-2). We also learn that hard times really keep us leaning on God, once is something we should do everyday and that prayer is very important in our Christian life! A great example of just how important prayer really is can be found in Hebrews 5:7 "During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission." (NIV)
Part two is taking up God's cause (verses 3-4). Part three is accepting God's provision (verses 5-6) and Philippians 4:11-13 is a great example of being thankful for what God has given you. Paul is praising God in a Roman prison for what he has in these verses! Talk about being 100% thankful! Part four is listening to God's counsel (verses 7-8) and finally part five is the reward of eternal life (verses 9-11).
In Psalm seventeen many people believe David wrote this prayer while 1 Samuel 23:24-28 was happening. Saul was chasing David and David was hiding. God saved David when Saul had to return to his Palace because there was an attack. No one is 100% sure when this was written. Verse 8 in Psalm seventeen is amazing! It is revealed that we are the apple of God's eye! How amazing is that and what other proof do you need that we are His children!
Finally we reach Psalm eighteen. David wrote this when the Lord delivered him from all his enemies and the hands of Saul. David calls God "my strength", "my rock", "my fortress"'"my Savior"' "my shield". "the strength of my salvation". and "my stronghold". If you go and read 2 Samuel 22:1- 51 it is almost exactly the same as Psalm 18:1-50!  In Psalm 18:7-19 David uses words we can really understand to show God coming down to save a Shepherd boy who prayed to Him. This God is not gone, He is our magnificent God who is ready to rescue us!! I have to ask, what should we be afraid of?
Now continuing with Psalm eighteen in verses 20-24 it sounds like David is just bragging, but this is the David who says "Compared to You, no one is perfect" (Psalm 143:2) and "I was born a sinner" (Psalm 51:5). So maybe David isn't bragging and this Psalm can be read like Paul's remarks in Philippians 3:6 "I obeyed the Jewish law so Carefully that I was never accused of any fault."
Okay, so this was one of my longest posts. But the book of Psalms is filled with great teaching. I hope this post helps you in your study of the book of Psalms and you will be back on Saturday for another study!

No comments:

Post a Comment