Saturday, March 7, 2015

Scripture Memorization



 Since September of last year I've been memorizing Bible Verses. I'm not the best at memorizing things and I remember when I was in school I hated having to do spelling test because that was nothing but memorizing. As I've grown as a Christian I have found a way that helps me memorize Scripture where it will stick with me.
The first thing I do is pray about what I am getting ready to memorize and that God will show me ways I can apply a verse to my everyday life. The second thing I do is pick out Scripture that I can relate to or I use the Bible verses in my devotional. Starting in September I used the Mandisa Word Warriors Scriptures. She had picked a verse for every month that went along with one of her songs on her album "Overcomer." I also used Bible verses on Twitter and in my everyday reading.
When I started the devotional Faithful One by Amy-Jo Girardier I would memorize the verse the devotional said to. In my latest Bible study, Stepping Up: a Journey through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore, I am going to memorize a whole chapter in Psalms. I also use the verse of the month on the Karen Kingsbury 2015 Wall Calendar
What I use to help me memorize is a stack of colorful note cards to write the verse on and draw pictures to help me remember key words. I use a post-it note to put on my bathroom wall so I see it everyday. I set a goal to memorize it by. I write the verse down in a little notebook everyday. When I have the verse memorized I highlight it in my Bible, write a way it can apply to life, and put a colorful tab on it so I can quickly turn to it in my Bible when I need it or just want to read it.
Some verses I've memorized are:
  • 1 Peter 1:8
  • James 5:16
  • Ephesians 6:20
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
I hope this helps you as you set out to memorize Scripture.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great ideas! I have had a terrible time memorizing things, bible verses, and need to finds ways to get better at it. :) Inspiring and helpful post, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete