Saturday, August 9, 2014

What God Taught Me On Vacation...

 I had no plans of going on vacation with my Nana, aunt, cousin, and uncle last week. My plans changed two nights before we were to leave for Charleston, South Carolina. So, I packed rather quickly, but got everything I needed. So, on Saturday I went and stayed at Nana's so I wouldn't have to get up too early the next morning.
All night one of the dogs barked and kept all of us up! We were all still up by six in the morning, but we kept on having to turn back around because we forgot things. We were finally on the road by ten o'clock. The backseat of my uncle's truck was crammed with four people in it and we had to travel for nearly five hours! I'm sure you can imagine some of the arguments that broke out here and there.
We were all very happy to get to our villa and unload the truck. It took us awhile to figure out bed arrangements because a few people were determined to have everything their way and their plan was not going to work! This problem of who got what bed was settled in about ten minutes. We did not stay in the villa for long, and soon we found ourselves at T.J. Maxx, and two different grocery stores. By the time we had the food we needed and got back to the villa, none of us wanted to see the inside of that truck for at least three days!
The next morning was not pretty. I had a 5:30 wake up call from my uncle to go run with him and my aunt. I ran for as long as I could and then I walked the rest of the miles. My cousin came with us so I had someone to walk with here and there. I did enjoy getting to watch the sun come up (completing something off of my bucket list) and talking to God as I walked. However, this Monday was not going to stay peaceful for long...
Back in the room I was taking everyone's comments to personal and felt like they were saying things that were mean, but they weren't. I buried my head in a book. Then it happened. The one thing that was going to really ruin the peace I had found when walking. I dropped my Iphone 5S, that I had only had for two months in the toilet and ruined it! I felt so sick, so while we all piled back into the truck to go get frozen yogurt, I prayed to God. We ended up in a surf shop and I stumbled upon a quote and I knew it was God talking to me. It said: "Sometimes you have to make your own sunshine." This helped me through the rest of the trip.
The next day, July 29th, we tried to save my phone with a bag of rice, but it didn't work. I got the idea to try and use my tablet for everything, but for the life of me I could not get it to connect to the WI-FI! So, I started worrying about how I was going to blog and get some of my emails that I use for my Bible reading. My Nana reminded me that we did have a computer, so that problem was resolved. I really didn't like the idea of going to the beach or pool because I felt so fat in my bathing-suit, but I finally gave in and went to the pool with my family and had a really good time! A new problem showed up. How was I going to capture memories with pictures? This too was solved by my aunt and we went to Walmart and got me a camera and the things I needed for it. As we were walking on the beach later that night, a verse I had read that morning came to my mind. Isaiah 7:4 "...'Be careful, keep calm and don't be afraid...." I knew God was reminding me He had all of this already figured out!
July 30th met us with rain. So we went to the aquarium. One family member pitched a fit because she didn't get her way, but we all still enjoyed ourselves. I tried some new things, I pet an Alligator, Sting Ray, and a Starfish! My uncle made homemade oatmeal cookies for the first time, I'm glad my Nana was there to help him! I spent a lot of time with my little cousin and I'm so thankful for that time with him! The next day, we went and ate a Poe's Tavern and saw the lighthouse on Sullivan's Island. We also played in a park we stumbled upon. We got back to the villa and it started pouring the rain! My uncle managed to set off the fire alarm from cooking while I was in the shower! Oh, that was an adventure! We all ended the night by watching a movie.  I thought of Isaiah 9:6 "...Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." because those two days had God's handiwork all through them!
A new month started that Friday, August 1st. I went to the beach and had a good time. But soon after my cousin and I really started fighting and argued all day! My tennis shoes and sandals broke! Thankfully, I had bought some flip flops. We went on a ghost tour and then ate seafood. I tried Mahi Mahi and it was really good. Before I fell asleep I heard thunder...
Sure enough, it was raining the next day. So we all went to the Market. We were all arguing with each other a little, so we would go off from each other to look around and come back. I found this beautiful Sweet-grass cross and it reminded me that God was with me and I needed to love like Him! So, for the rest of the day I tried very hard to be kind to everyone because "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1. I ended up crying a little from hurt feelings on this trip, but God comforted me. We left on the 3rd while it was storming like crazy! The ride home wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I was so happy to finally be home!
So, what I learned on this vacation is that there are always going to be plans that go wrong. Also, it's hard to get along with your family sometimes, but they still love you. You have the choice to let one thing bad ruin your trip or to see the blessing you have got. Also, God is always with you through everything and He is where your true happiness comes from!

No comments:

Post a Comment